Vaseline White Petroleum Jelly


I think this product has been used in just about EVERY household, whether it was you or your mum or even your mum’s mum. I am talking about Vaseline’s petroleum jelly :0) Now I know there are endless things you could use this on, from the kitchen to the kids, to even the bedroom ;) So I am told.
But for our family this product is used on so many things just to name a few:
On my little one’s bum to help provide protection in between changes
On my chapped lips as a balm
On my nails as a cuticle oil
My partner also uses this on his thighs to prevent chafing

You cannot go wrong with a tub of Vaseline in your home. It will probably outlast your lifetime and doesn’t go off. I remember seeing a tub of this at almost everyone of my families houses when I was a kid and always wondering to myself what on earth it was. I used to think it was skin in a jar, because one day my Aunty was applying the product to my nephews bottom and asked her why she was putting it on there. And she explained to me I was a special skin that went on my cousin’s bottom to protect it while it was in the nappy.

A tip my mum handed me down with “Vaso” as it was called in our house and as we still call it. Was to apply a thin layer with your finger around your hair line when dying your own hair at home, as this will prevent the dye from staining your head. I used to dye my own hair at home loads so this was the best advice from mum.

And from my grandma, when we used to have Gastro she would buy a tub for in the toilet and whenever we finished she told us to clean our bottoms, then put a little dab on the toilet paper and gently rub it in around that area. I can tell you now we never had sore bottoms no matter how bad the gastro was, it worked wonders.

A little about Vaseline Petroleum Jelly
Vaseline Petroleum Jelly is a mixture of mineral oils, paraffin and microcrystalline waxes that, when blended together, create something remarkable - a smooth jelly that has a melting point just above body temperature. The result - it literally melts into skin, flowing into the spaces between cells and the gaps in our lipid barrier. Once there, it

re-solidifies, locking itself in place.

Vaseline Petroleum Jelly serves two functions: First it helps keep the outside world out - it protects skin from the effects of weather and exposure. Second, it acts like a sealant to help keep the inside world in - it forms an occlusive barrier to the natural water loss of our skin. So skin that is dry and chapped is protected from drying elements, enabling skin-softening moisture to build up naturally from inside the skin itself.


** Images used are not my own and have been sourced from elsewhere.