Night Terrors with my 5 year old


My daughter is about to turn 5 and there are so many changes going on in her life. Like trying to get her head around the fact that she has a split family meaning she is lucky enough to have two Daddies who love her very much. I know this would be so confusing for her, as I went through it as a child and almost resented my mum for many of my younger years.



Then there is the fact that she no longer has me there all the time as she has started 4yo kinder, which is 4 days a week and is quite a lot for a little girl who still has after lunch naps.
And with kinder they are getting to know each other and sometimes the kids clash heads and have their little tiffs. Hails came home one day and was really sad. I asked her what was wrong and she told me that her friend Mikaela had a fight with her.. I asked her what do you mean a fight? She said an argument about headaches, which was a little bit strange to be honest and don’t know if this was the main reason. But again I explained to her that this is what happens sometimes and there are lots of kids at kinder that are more then happy to be your friends (after all were not here to please everyone on Earth.)

So if you have been following my blog you would know I have been dealing with some pretty full on night terrors with Hayley.
Last night I had a D&M with Hayley (5) who has had a lot running through her little mind. I did not know where this had come from and honestly did not know how to deal with it. I was starting to think I might need to take her to therapy or something like this as she was beginning to get scared of going to sleep.

Miss H’s imagination is absolutely phenomenal and unlike any little girls I have ever met or heard about. She is also a little sponge and anything that is said during the day she will dwell on and really think into it, sometimes even worrying herself.

I have learn to accept her being so imaginative and given her a big scrapbook to write down some of her thoughts and images in her head. Her pictures are so detailed and she is an amazing artist for a 5 year old. For example when she draws a person, everything is in proportion and even concentrates on the little details such as lashes and eyebrows. She is also a little perfectionist and will look at her picture afterwards and correct anything she think she may have missed.

But anyway back to the night terrors I had a good talk to her and it got really deep and really pulled at my heartstrings. I asked her why she thinks these bad dreams are coming to her. She told me she was all alone (in her room.) She used to share with her little sister but then Hayley got a bunk and it was a little unsafe for Madison to be staying in there as she was getting up into the bunk and stuff.
But then I started to think about it and realised that maybe it is some kind of separation anxiety or something, not having her sister in her room like she used to. Now Madison is old enough to know not to climb up there I decided to move Madison’s single bed back into Hayley’s room for the night to see how they went.

Now I don’t know if it was a fluke or that this may have been what it was, because Hayley did not wake up once nor did she cry. It was however a little tricky as Madison who is only two still wakes up twice crying for a bottle (which we are weaning her off now.) But to my surprise it did not wake Hails up once.  I do however think it would have been funny to watch me bolt down that hallway like the next Usain Bolt to get to their room at the other end of their hallway before Madison woke Hails up with her cries. I think these sisters just needed each other at night again as they weren't used to being alone in an empty room :-) Which I don't mind as long as they aren't up playing until midnight, as they will become super close sisters.

I will see how this goes and keep you guys posted on my progress J