Slava's Snowshow Review


Last night I was taken away into a mystical world that you could only dream of, and that place was The multi award-winning international sensation SLAVA’S SNOWSHOW.



I was luckily enough to be apart of the opening night and experience what Slava’s Snowshow had to offer and so much more.

The first thing I would say Is I know it does advertise it is for kids, but if I took my 5 year old daughter she would have been scared out of her skin! And I think this show is best suited for children 14 and above… The first scene opens up with the main clown walking slowly onto the stage with a noose in hand ready to hang himself, but luckily he doesn’t! 

Slava Polunin created his Snowshow following his sensational performance as part of Cirque du Soleil’s Alegria, drawing on the influence of artists such as Charlie Chaplin, Marcel Marceau and Leonid Engibarov.  He and his company of clowns have taken clowning out of the world of circus, and brought it into the theatre.  SLAVA’S SNOWSHOW is a fusion of traditional and contemporary theatrical clowning arts, and a beautifully crafted visual spectacle.

There is no real story line to this show, so I wouldn’t sit there like I did trying to piece it together or anything, rather just sit back and enjoy the show. The clowning arts is really well done, but then the lighting and effects are even better.

I did not know how I would honestly cope with this show as I have quite a phobia of clowns, and at some points I did pop my hands up to my eyes and try to hide! And when the little mushroom clowns came up into the audience and stopped right in front of me and touched me it did make my scream and turn to run... But there was no escape for me so I had to face my fears and in the end they ended up being cute little fellas. 

The show brilliantly creates a world of wonderment and fantasy that transports the audience to a joyous dream-like place, where a bed becomes a boat in a storm-tossed sea; a woman is wrapped in cellophane and becomes flowers in a vase; a child walks in amazement inside a bubble; SLAVA boards a train and then becomes the train, his chimney-pot hat billowing smoke; and a web of unspun cotton envelopes the audience. The stunning finale sees a letter turn into snowflakes, and the flakes turn into a snowstorm, which whirls around the auditorium, leaving the audience ankle-deep in snow. Now this for me was my favourite part (the finale.)
I was left picking up the tissue paper(snow) that was left at my feet and throwing it up in the air above my partners head like a little kid haha. Then after the snow had falled massive giant balloons were thrown around the theatre and bringing the little children out in all of us.
 Here you can see My Mr Matt having fun in the snow.

For me this show was certainly a standing ovation and I did enjoy it quite a bit..