Mother’s Day Breakfast in Bed // Barker’s of Geraldine


 A lot of Mothers out ther don’t get the credit they deserve! Don’t get me wrong I love Mother’s Day and appreciating my mother as well as my girls spoiling me. But I kind of have the same take on Mother’s Day as I do Valentine’s Day- I don’t need one day of the year to show my Mum I love her when I should be (and do) do this every single day of the year.



A lot of things like this these days are just a big money making scheme and I don’t like contributing to it and rather receive things that aren’t bought; like spending one on one time with my family (no phones and internet aloud)!

One thing I think all Mum’s out there should get a pat on the back for is the endless hours they put in of unpaid work. This is not a topic spoken about very often, men often find many different excuses such as I shouldn’t have to come home and work. Ok, fair enough you go to work and no doubt work quite hard but at least you get paid for that job and can clock off. A Mummy can never clock off, and can be quite demanding on you I won’t lie.

So for this I take my hat off to every Mother out there- YOU GO GIRL!

Now this brings me back to my initial reason for making this post. Usually Mother’s Day is a day where I take off my unpaid work hat and let Daddy do the duties for one single day (and Mr M does a fantastic job at this)!

So instead of buying things Mr M takes over in the kitchen and cooks for me, cleans for me and if I am lucky takes me out for dinner or for some special time away with my family.

So the last three years Mother’s Day turns into a kitchen free day for this Mummy, this Mummy hangs up her apron and goes on leave for the day. Well not leave but treats herself to a day off, so to speak. 

I have been absolutely blessed though and cannot complain with the other half, as he is quite the cook in the kitchen. Mums tell me of their other halves not doing too much to help around the home, but I have won the lottery in this department. Not only does he work to bring home the bacon and allow this Mummy to raise her children, he cooks a couple of nights a week, hangs out the washing and does the dishes. 


Usually on Mother’s Day I wake up to breakfast in bed, typically bacon and eggs with a spinach salad and then we go out for lunch. But this year I am hinting to Mr M to mix things up this breakfast and try something new. 

So I was luck enough to come across a great recipe thanks to Barker's Of Geraldine – 

BLACKCURRANT BREAKFAST CRUMBLE

Serves: 4 Difficulty: Medium 
Ingredients 

Fruit Filling 
200g dried figs, quartered

150g dried apricots
100g sultanas
100g pitted dates, roughly chopped (appro 5 dates) 
100ml Barker’s of Geraldine Lite Blackcurrant Syrup

400ml water
1 tsp vanilla extract 

Crumble Topping 
100g plain flour

50g rolled oats
100g brown sugar
100g butter, cut into cubes
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
50g hazelnuts, roughly chopped 50g silvered almonds 

Blackcurrant Yoghurt 
300g Greek yoghurt

1 tbsp Barker’s of Geraldine Lite Blackcurrant Syrup 


Method 
1. Preheat oven to 170C (150C fan-forced). 
2. Place dried fruit, Barker’s of Geraldine Lite Blackcurrant Syrup, water and vanilla in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 mins, until plump. 
3. Transfer to a greased 20cm oven proof dish. 
4. Meanwhile, make the crumble topping. Put the flour, oats, sugar, butter and cinnamon in a bowl, rub together with your fingers into a crumble texture. Add in the nuts and mix thoroughly. 
5. Place crumble over the top of the fruit mix and baked in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until brown. 
6. Carefully remove the breakfast crumble from the oven, and set aside to cool slightly whilst you make the blackcurrant yoghurt. 
7. Mix 1 tbsp Barker’s of Geraldine Lite Blackcurrant Syrup to 300g yoghurt until fully incorporated. 
8. Evenly dish out the blackcurrant breakfast crumble into 4 bowls, and serve with blackcurrant yoghurt. 

Recipe developed by Iron Chef Shellie (@ironchefshellie) 

As with everything I try a recipe out myself, and test how hard it is (or complicated) before putting it to the Mr “chef”. I also don’t want to try something new and not like the flavours and screw my nose up to something he has spent some time in the kitchen making- maybe even a few failed attempts along the way haha. 

BEFORE

AFTER

This recipe does say it is medium difficulty but I found it easy peasy! The family scoffed down every single last crumb and even asked for more it was delicious! 

So I thought I would take this opportunity to show Mr M the recipe and see if he thought it would be something he could attempt for Mother’s Day. He laughed at me and said of course, so we will see how he goes on Mother’s Day. If you follow my instagram @ThreeBeesBlog you will see if this made it on my menu for Mother’s Day (I hope so)! 



Barker's of Geraldine Lite Blackcurrant Syrup 

One thing that makes this recipe though, and you certainly have to get a good syrup is the Anathoth Blackcurrant Syrup- it is the thing that gives this dish its flavours! I have been diluting this in ice cold water and been drinking it, my favourite fruit drink at the moment. 

What makes it even better is the fact that it has been sweetened only with anatural sweetener (Stevia). 

So my healthy eating routine won’t be broken this Mother’s Day! 





http://www.barkers.co.nz